Here in the United States, we sure love our ice cream! In fact, the average American eats 26 liters of the creamy stuff per year, making us the highest-consuming country in the world! With this much love for ice cream, we’d better take it to the next level by making our own ice cream at home. No machine? No problem! Here’s how to make homemade ice cream without a specialty machine.
Ingredients and Supplies
For this method of making homemade ice cream without a machine, you’ll need the following supplies and ingredients:
- 1 gallon-sized plastic freezer bag (zipper style)
- 1 quart-sized plastic freezer bag (zipper style)
- 4 ounces of milk
- 4 ounces of cream
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract (For chocolate ice cream, add chocolate syrup instead. You can also replace vanilla with a variety of other extracts to create different flavors.)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Food coloring (if desired)
- Plenty of ice
- Roughly ½ cup rock salt
- Place milk, cream, vanilla, sugar, and food coloring inside the quart-sized bag and seal it closed.
- Add one cup of ice and “a small handful of salt” to the gallon-sized bag and seal it.
- Place the quart-sized bag inside the gallon-sized bag. Add additional ice and salt until the bag is almost full. Seal shut.
- Hold the bag at two ends and start shaking it. The recipe relates the motion to “steering a car.” Continue this motion for about five to eight minutes.
- Open the gallon-sized bag and remove the quart-sized bag, now containing ice cream! Clean around the opening of the bag by running it under water.
- Open the bag with the ice cream and add in any desired mix-ins. Have fun with this step and get creative! Here are some mix-in ideas to consider.
Eat and Repeat
Next, enjoy that ice cream—go ahead, lick the bowl clean! Then, put this recipe on repeat! Try new mix-ins, add new flavorings, and don’t forget the toppings! We believe that everything tastes better with sprinkles!
Homemade ice cream is so easy to make, we hope it becomes part of your routine! Don’t be afraid to share with your family, friends, and roommates. But, if it truly is too good to give up, just share on social media—and tag us at The Jackson Apartment Homes on Facebook!